Tuesday, 19 July 2011

How to: Dye your hair red



My hair has been in desperate need of re-dying recently but i just didn't have the time but i'm so happy to say I finally got round to it this weekend wahoo!

I've had red hair for over a year now but the bright red barnet has become a massive trend especially since many celebrities decided to rock the red locks, Rihanna being one of my personal favourites.

Doesn't she look absolutely amazing?! wow!



I have to be honest, as much as i love my red hair it is a total pain to get it the way it is and then maintain it. So if your anything like me, (somebody not particularly great at haircare) then expect the colour to fade and expect it to happen fast. 
Luckily i quite like the colour my hair fades to so i'm never in too much of a panic or hurry to re-dye it.

If you are wanting to dye your hair red for the first time i strongly suggest taking a little bit of time to make sure you find the perfect shade to suit you. There is a pretty extensive range of different shades  available so the perfect one is out there i promise.

If you have a cooler skin tone (usually natural blondes) then i suggest ruby reds and burgundy colours whereas those with a warmer skin tone (brunettes) i would go with a more brick red or terracotta.

Personally when it comes to red hair i prefer at home permanent box colours even over going to a professional hairdresser. I wouldn't even bother looking at semi permanent colours. Permanent colours fade fast enough so i can't even imagine how quickly a semi permanent would. but of course it is entirely your choice.

Okay so finally once you have your choice of colour you are ready to get dying.
I personally use Schwarzkop Live Color XXL in 'Real Red'. I have hair that goes slightly past my shoulders and i need to use two boxes.



Since my hair was previously dyed i started (or should i say my mum) by applying the dye to my roots using a hair colouring brush. You can buy these almost anywhere, i actually got mine in a set with a little mixing bowl from the pound shop.
(image courtesy of google since i forgot to photograph mine d'oh!)




So once the dye was applied all over my roots, we then left that for a few minutes before starting to apply the dye to the rest of my hair. Once you have finished that and applied the dye all over your hair that needs to be left for around 15 minutes before rinsing off.
When it comes to rinsing the dye out of your hair i strongly suggest using cold-luke warm water. Hot water will just encourage the colour to run.


Once you have achieved the red colour you wanted i'm guessing you want to keep it that way and THAT is the hardest part. 


So here are a few tips i use to try and keep my hair bright.


First of all, try and limit how much you wash your hair. This is the hardest one for me since i like to wash my hair on a daily basis but oh well, never mind.


When you DO wash your hair, try to keep the temperature of the water as cool as you can and use a shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for coloured hair.
I personally use the L'Oreal Elvive Colour protect shampoo and conditioner which can be picked up from various places for about £4.00 a bottle.






You could also add a small amount of hair dye to your shampoo every time you wash your hair just to boost the colour, i recommend 'Crazy colour'.


Toners are also available to buy however i cannot recommend anything in particular as this is not something i personally use.


I really hope this has helped a few of you and if you are debating wether to go red or not, just go for it, you will LOVE it, trust me.


Char 
xxx

4 comments:

  1. rihanna has got great hair! <3
    i'm following you! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was given the One Lovely Blog award and I would like to pass on the love to you :) Please check it out at http://ykhearts.blogspot.com/2011/07/share-love-with-blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. your hair is a lovley colour x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard that red is such a hard colour to maintain, it's worth it though

    http://ninety2wo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete