Monday, 21 November 2011

Nails of the day- Acid Wash


If your anything like me, you will love the newest Rihanna music video, 'We found love'. 
The video has an amazing grunge-y vibe which of course contains plenty of distressed denim. Now, this may seem slightly weird but i ADORE the distressed look, in particular in denim. (i think it's my inner fashion design freak coming through!) My absolute fave type of distressed denim is acid wash and as you can see from the pictures above, Rihanna rocks this so well in her video.

I was re-doing my manicure last night and was a bit stuck as to what design to go with (believe it or not, i didn't feel like leopard print again this week!) so i thought why not take inspiration from my current favourite music video and create my very own acid wash nails.


First of all i took a denim blue colour (Models Own- Feeling Blue) as a base and left to dry. Any typical denim colour is fine, blues, black, greys. You don't even have to stick with those, any colour would work since it looks like a tie dye pattern too.

I then painted a thin layer of white nail polish over the top (Barry M- Matt White) and again left to completely dry.

Once dry, i got a cotton bud soaked in nail polish remover and began to remove the white layer of polish. Try not to rub too much in the same spot as you don't want to remove the blue. 

Once you are happy with the pattern, apply a top coat. I used my E.L.F Matte top coat to make it look even more grunge-y and i LOVE the outcome.

Such a unique yet easy nail design. Will you be giving it a go?

Char
xxx

13 comments:

  1. Wow that looks so good! I am redoing my nails tonight and was wondering what to do... now I think I'll give this a try! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I might give it a go :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. If either of you do give it a go i would love to see!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats such a great idea, simple, but super effective xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! i love how they turned out

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! I really love this video too - if only I looked as good as Rihanna in acid-wash denim! Love the nails though, will have to give it a shot myself.
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seonaid, i agree, Rihanna is beautiful, i wish i could pull off half of what she can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are awsome! I might have to try it out some time :)
    xX

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea and I really like the look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea!! soo different!
    xxx

    http://xx-live-laugh-love-xx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great! I've never seen acid wash nails before! Might try it with a sparkly touch for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds fab Simderella, make sure you share some pics, would love to see!

    ReplyDelete