Friday, 3 February 2012

DIY: Make Up Storage


Everybody and their dog use their old beauty boxes for storage of make up, nail polish, jewellery etc and that is exactly what i had been doing. But let's face it, when you have a tonne of boxes piled up on top of each other it doesn't look that great so i did a bit of hard researching (or maybe i just googled...) of ways to re-use beauty boxes and came across this blog post. I needed to give it a go for myself.

What you will need: 

  • 4 beauty boxes
  • Scissors
  • Glue of some sort, i used a hot glue gun
  • Ribbon
  1. First of all take 2 lids and cut one of the longer sides of each, these will be the sides for your drawers. (Pic. 3)
  2. Next take one of the boxes and cut off all of the sides leaving you with just the base. (Pic. 6)
  3. Glue the two sides (made in step 1) to the base (made in step 2) which will leave you with something that looks like picture 7.
  4. Now take another lid and cut off the two shorter sides and trim half of the longer sides. This will act as the backing for your drawers. (Pic. 9)
  5. Glue the backing (made in step 4) to the rest of the structure created in step 3. You should have something that looks like picture 10.
  6. Take the final lid and glue it to the top of the structure. (Pic. 11)
  7. Slide all of the remaining boxes in to create your drawers. (Pic. 12)
  8. Finally use your ribbon to decorate your drawers, hide any rough edges where you have cut the box and create little loops to use as handles to open the drawers.
My drawers seem to be quite stiff and tightly fitted at the moment so i need to figure out how to sort that out but apart from that i really love the outcome of this little project, the drawers look so much cuter than a pile of boxes after all.

What do you think? Will you be trying this for yourself?

Char
xxx

54 comments:

  1. I love this, so creative! Just found your blog from the beauty box swaps fb page! Now following =) Gem xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great to have you as a new follower! :)

      Delete
  2. This is fab and looks so pretty :D x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea! It looks amazing :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! IS your real name Minnie? if so its awesome!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for dropping by on my blog. I hope you enjoyed making your drawer! The bows are soo cute :)

    Love,

    JanBan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo adorable!!! I love it!! xoxo

    http://mdrmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab idea! So creative - love it!
    Georgia |frecklie.blogspot.com
    {dont forget to enter my giveaway!}

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!!! This is sooooo cute!! Fab idea :)) Thanks for sharing, now following!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This may be the best blog post I've ever red. Great idea I've been looking for some sort of make-up storage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! better get your scissors and glue out lady!

      Delete
  9. That's a great idea, so pretty! Will definitely try and report back to you! Thanks for sharing! :o)

    xx

    Dani (http://somanylovelythings.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a creative idea! Never thought to use them that way. I found your blog since Glossybox linked to this post on twitter and I like it :)

    Lisamello xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is amazing! Such a good idea, I have been thinking of what to do with my beauty box's for ages!!
    I am now following!! :)
    Check out my blog -
    http://stylecrescent.blogspot.com/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow, much appreciated :)

      Delete
  12. I love these, they are so cute!, i'm going to attempt to make some myself using your instuctions :), I hope they turn out just as good.

    Please follow my beauty and fashion blog
    http://beautylamode-xo.blogspot.com/

    Thank you :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! make sure you share when your done!

      Delete
  13. Two words: absolute genius.

    Do Glossybox only do a hot pink box on Valentine's day? As soon as I get a couple more boxes this idea is SO a go! Brilliant, thanks for posting :)

    -rainey x
    (just starting out)
    http://raineydaybeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes only hot pink on valentines day i'm afraid!

      Delete
  14. that is adorable - fab DIY x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so cute! I just with I had those beauty boxes!

    P.S. I'm loving your blog! I follow you now. :)

    http://sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so cute! xo
    Followed!

    http://bellechatonxo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow! it's really a good idea!! Now you've got a new french follower! ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is such a brilliant idea:):) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everyone already said it anyways, but WOAH! You a smartie!!:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fantastic xx Clever lady xx
    Wanted to invite you to join in with my 200 follower giveaway x winner receives £50 of mac products of their choice and a gorgeous OPI Designer Nail Polish xx Hope you get a chance to check it out xx
    You have a great blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, looks sooo good! I now have a whole bunch of beauty boxes looking unattractive on my shelf. Will definetely have to try this. xx

    check out and follow my blog
    www.nobeastjustbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is amazing what a great idea!

    Jazz xo

    http://jazzreallyloves.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will definitely be trying this out, and probably failing disastrously :-P Awesome idea! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a good idea! Looks soo cute, I am definitely doing this, thanks!
    http://fi-ballard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Seriously amazingggggg!
    Absolutly love this & the ring holder... Now to find me a hot glue gun & gather some more beauty boxes :D

    New follower also - awesome blog! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cute. I have been thinking of doing this when I get my BB. I want to do a 5 draw unit using 3 bottoms and 2 tops. So it would be 2 small drawers and 3 big drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So cute!!! Awesome blog..new follower btw [:

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is so clever! I will deffo attempt this! :)
    http://georgiabeee.blogspot.co.uk/
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. this is so creative, defiitely want to try this! new follower btw:) gives me more of a reason to subscribe to glossybox/joliebox! xxx

    http://fashionlamode4.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's soooo cute :))
    I follow You. Look to me - http://themyescape.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Omg I love this idea I will definitly be trying this it just looks so cute and I was having a problem about makeup storage because I all the small storage boxes are like 20 pounds and I aint got that.thx 4 the idea xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, this is such a fun and lovely idea! Your drawers turned out super cute. I will definitely be trying this. Thanks a bunch for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fun! I'll be trying this asap! I've been looking all over for a craft using my ridiculously large amount of beauty boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fun! I'll be trying this asap! I've been looking all over for a craft using my ridiculously large amount of beauty boxes.

    ReplyDelete